The Bachmann Collaboration Building is one of the most significant changes to Prep’s campus in over a decade. The building is the final piece in Prep’s campus Master Plan, which saw the enclosure of the Atrium and the installation of field lights on Memorial Athletic Field. 由历史悠久的 丰富,激发,点燃! 筹集了3000多万美元, the building is a source of unity for the entire Prep community in support of collaborative learning. This building will be a creative hub of ideas and 项目 for generations of Prep students.
三层建筑, at the north end of campus overlooking Memorial Field, 在去年3月COVID-19袭击时正在进行吗. 建设, 认为必要的, 尽可能地继续, amid a dearth of materials caused by manufacturing and shipping delays. 去年秋天, as a few teachers and Prep’s expanded tech staff moved into their new spaces within the building, 最后的润色已经做好了, 现在准备好拍摄特写镜头了.
Housing Prep’s curricular initiatives in 蒸汽, 全球研究, and 领导, the $14.2 million building was designed with input from teachers and administrators to promote deep learning for students, 激发思想的交流, 项目, 和实验, 培养创造性解决问题的能力.
一楼是蒸汽的大本营, 完成预科的创客空间, 艺术工作室, 还有科学教室和实验室. 全球研究中心占据了二楼, with classrooms that are reconfigurable for lectures and events, and seminar rooms equipped with video conferencing technology for conversations with experts and peers around the world. (The Technology Department also has their offices in the 全球研究 wing.) The third floor houses the 领导 program, where seminar rooms and meeting spaces will host Student Senate, 弗林特, 朋辈心理辅导组, 以及其他领导活动.
A dramatic staircase connects all three floors and bathes the building in natural light. Classroom spaces have expansive windows and common areas are perfect meeting spots for collaboration, 在安静的角落里沉思.
Bachmann Collaboration Building Slideshow:
现代的设计, 17,500-square-foot building tucks into the hillside and was made with sustainability and nature in mind. Permeable surfaces surround it, with one side flanked by a naturally landscaped “dry waterfall.” Ceramics teacher Biliana Popova created pots for plants that signal the transition from natural to architectural. The third-floor terrace provides expansive views, and motorized bi-fold glass doors in the first-floor makerspace and 艺术工作室 open out for airflow and to easily move large equipment or artwork. A muted palette of blue and silver matches the rest of the campus, and the ceiling of slatted natural wood recalls the newly enclosed Atrium and recently revamped Norris Auditorium.
Even with just a few faculty teaching now, the Bachmann Collaboration Building hums with creativity and promise.
- Makerspace Coordinator Erin Thomassen leads her Design Thinking 7th graders through 项目 using the laser cutter, 3 d打印机, 和绣花机, while also supporting the robotics team and students working on their science experiments or personal 项目.
- Next door in the 艺术工作室 is drawing and painting teacher Melissa Manfull. Manfull has multiple cameras set up over her workspace to provide various perspectives for her students who are learning and creating at home with the extensive kits she curated to support their lessons.
- 数学老师贝丝·帕蒂内利, who frequently collaborates with Manfull on 蒸汽 项目 like geometric mobiles and pendulum paintings, is currently teaching from the second floor.
- 全球研究 Coordinator Ingrid Herskind is teaching her classes in the Global Research Lab, while also hosting seminars with expert panelists and brainstorming sessions with faculty for the 全球研究 Think Tank.
- Assistant Head for Academic Life Sarah Cooper teaches 8th grade history from the building that she helped envision.
Cooper admits making detours on the freeway at night just to admire the building’s lights that “shine out onto campus like a beacon.” She’s looking forward to “new ideas and new intersections between people, 学科之间, that we haven’t really had in one space before,库珀说:“. “Students will be able to think in bigger ways.”
Head of School Vanessa Walker-Oakes concurs. “The Bachmann Collaboration Building will foster dreams and ideas that we can't possibly foresee,”她说, “because students are the creative force that drives this institution. It’s going to allow students to really problem-solve about the issues that they, 和世界, 正面临着.”